Free Verse A Cappella

Gennarino Conzemius
A new student-run contemporary a cappella group has taken form at Central Catholic High School and Oakland Catholic High School. It was created by the 13 students this past fall. The group was created by senior Tucker Helms ’17, a talented beat boxer and vocalist. He had first tried a cappella at Chaminade Julienne Catholic High School and began his career as a beat boxer. But after transferring to Central Catholic, Tucker realized no a cappella group had been formed. By senior year, he took an initiative and began auditions to create a new a cappella group composed of two schools, Central and Oakland Catholic. This group includes the following individuals- Rob Praksti, ’18, Callen Adomitis, ’17, Alex Rajakovich, ’17, Jack Connolly, ’17, Tom Dougherty, ’17, Gennarino Conzemius, ’19, Nate Valyo, ’17, and Tucker Helms, ’17.Gennarino Conzemius

The term “free verse” a name refers to a verse with no rhyme or meter. So a name was created, Free Verse, from a strong belief by all of the members that this group is an outlet in which they can express themselves through music, free of boundaries. This winter, Free Verse has competed at two competitions hosted by the International Competition of High School A Cappella. The group received Runner-Up at the Quarterfinal round in Dayton, Ohio and another Runner-Up at the Semi-final round in Bowling Green, Ohio, nearly missing the qualification to the National competition in New York City. In addition, they were awarded an Outstanding Vocal Percussionist award to Tucker Helms ’17 and an Outstanding Arrangement award. After competition season, Free Verse is looking to preform at numerous functions and festivals. Looking forward to another year of success, Free Verse will have auditions available soon to anyone interested.

Gennarino Conzemius

Gennarino Conzemius