The Shadyside Boys and Girls Club

Have you ever thought about signing up for service? The Boys and Girls Club, which is very popular among students, is a great way to connect with kids and even fellow students. This opportunity is given to us through the Lasallian Ministry. The last thing a student needs is another thing to add onto their to-do list, I get it, but this service opportunity is very accessible and non-time consuming. It’s a great opportunity Central Catholic has given to the student body. Speaking from personal experience it’s great, I’ve been going for 2 years. If you think you can’t commit to something as of now, you’re in luck because it isn’t a commitment you have to do every week. You can pick and choose which Thursdays you want.

The club is located in Shadyside near Walnut St. and the van leaves from Central around 3:15-3:30. Oakland Catholic students accompany us on the trip down. Usually we are back at Central around 5:15-5:30. The basic breakdown on what we do with the kids is very simple. There is a homework room, an art room, a game room, and the gym. The gym is where most students go to play dodgeball and basketball. The dodgeball games can get intense but it’s all in good fun. Students can help kids with their homework, play video games with them, do art activities with them, and play with the kids in the gym. The kids are mostly in preschool through 3rd grade, but there are a good amount of kids that break the 5th grade mark. If all this doesn’t sound enticing enough for you, keep in mind it’s a good way to meet Oakland students. My fellow classmate, Oscar Shaver, and I usually get into some intense two-on-two basketball games with the kids. One last tip; remember to bring a change of clothes so the kids won’t grab onto your tie. Also you always want to be prepared for the dodgeball games.

If you’re on the fence about going, just try it out and if it’s not for you then you don’t have to go again. I guarantee if you go once, you will want to see the kids again. You can talk to Mr. Goldcamp about going or you can go right ahead and sign up on the board outside the library, near Office C on the second floor. This opportunity is every Thursday after school. Give it a try you won’t be let down!