Student Spotlight: Ian Connolly

It is no question that the students of Central Catholic are of ample talent and extensive capabilities. At times, though, with the vast exposure to such capacities to which we have accustomed ourselves, we are susceptible to overlooking the exceptional accomplishments and adeptnesses of Central’s best and brightest passing through the halls each day. Among these under-appreciated virtuosos is Robotics Captain Ian Connolly. Being as though Ian’s and my last name are back-to-back alphabetically, I was fortunately thrust into a circumstance in which I was able to get to know Ian, and I can assert with certainty that this guy is a gem. Recently, I had the distinct pleasure of sitting down with Ian and asking him some questions.

Q: In what activities are you involved at Central Catholic?

A: I am in involved Campus Ministry, captain of the Robotics Team, captain of the VNN team, and I have a parking pass.

Q: Could you tell us a little bit about robotics?

A: There’s not too many people that know about us. We have a very high budget and we hope to do a lot of stuff, but there’s just not a lot of people that know about what we’re supposed to be doing. We’ll do very well this year, and we’ll be even better next year.

Q: Have you always been technologically inclined?

A:Yeah, Whenever I was like five, I encrypted the entire hard drive on my home computer so no one could touch it but me- because I just wanted to play Club Penguin.

Q: Do you plan on collegiately pursuing robotics and such?

A: I do, yeah, something with computer engineering or electronics is on the horizon for Ian Lewis Connolly.

Q: If anyone reading this is interested in joining robotics, what would you tell them?

A: Just get yourself involved, it’s very easy. Mr. Carlberg is a very approachable guy, I think I’m a pretty approachable guy, and we can get you on the email list. There’s a lot of people who don’t really know anything about robotics, but we can teach you. It’s very easy, very quick, and you’ll have a great time.

Q: What is your finest advice to freshmen?

A: Don’t be self-conscious and just make a name for yourself, because if you’re too self-conscious you’ll be held back by what other people think. You just need to work past that.

Then we got into the serious questions:

Q: If you were an animal, what animal would you be?

A: Cat.

Q: With which Disney princess do you most identify?

A: The one that wins.

Q: Who would play you in a movie about you?

A: A cross between Bill Gates and Elon Musk.

Q: What is your favorite word?

A: Defenestrate.

Q: What is something that does not exist that you wish existed?

A: A world full of Thomas cars

Q: If your name were to be adapted to the English vernacular as an adjective, what would that word mean?

A: Idiocy with style.

And that pretty much says it all. Nothing but gratitude to Ian for his participation. If you the reader are at all interested in getting involved with Robotics, Campus Ministry, or the VNN, Ian Connolly is surely your guy. And if you see Ian passing through the hallway, tell him hello; he’s always looking for stylish idiots with whom he can share in his stylish idiocy.