Becoming A Brother: Interview with Brother Eric

There was the student and the Chemistry sitting in the new STEM building at Central Catholic High School early that Monday morning. The student, eager to discover more about the Chemistry teacher, started to ask some simple questions to break the ice. This very special Chemistry teacher happened to be a Christian Brother whose mission was to teacher the youth the wonderful subject of Chemistry.

This Christian Brother was Brother Eric Henderson. Born in Pittsburgh in 1942, Brother Eric remembers his first gift as a child was a little toy wooden car that he often played with. Brother Eric’s parents were both born in Pittsburgh so he knew everything about the city of Pittsburgh. Brother Eric remembers a memory that stands out of his grandfather teaching him the alphabet as a child. Brother Eric has very calm parents who were not too strict but not to lenient. Brother Eric was very close to both parents all throughout his life.

Brother Eric first came in contact with Chemistry in High School. Brother Eric attended Seton La Salle for high school. Brother surprisingly was a Track athlete back in his high school career. Brother was a competitor in cross country, sprinting, pole vault, and high jump in high school. This is where he found his special relationship with Chemistry. Brother Eric said that a very involved and compassionate Chemistry teacher in high school led him to his interest in Chemistry. “A natural curiosity about things and always asking “why” also led me to my interest in Chemistry.” High school is also the place where Brother Eric found the Christian Brothers. “Watching the Brothers teach and speaking to the Brothers drew me closer and closer to the Brotherhood,” said Brother Eric when asked how he discovered the Christian Brothers. When Brother Eric decided he wanted to be a Christian Brother, his parents were right there to back him up with his choices.

Brother Eric Henderson went onto La Salle University where he majored in Chemistry Education and received his Bachelors. Brother then studied Chemistry at Villanova and received his Masters. Brother started his teaching career in Harrisburg. Brother was excited to start in Harrisburg but was not a fan of the distance between him and his family. There are some benefits that come with being a Christian Brother. Not only do they get a great deal of respect, but they are able to have a choice to where they would like to teach. Brother Eric was moved four times in his teaching career and all of the moves were choices Brother Eric made. Brother received offers from schools to teach and he was able to make the choice where to teach. Brother Eric had always had the desire to teach in Pittsburgh because it is where he is from and he would be close to his family.

Brother Bob contacted him in 2011 and Brother Eric decided to start teaching Chemistry at Central Catholic. Brother Eric has been teaching at Central for six years now. When the student asked the teacher what makes Central unique the teacher responded, “The amazing link between student to student, the brotherhood, the spiritual dimension, and the Lasallian teaching all make Central very special.” The student then brought up the recent change in principles and asked what Brother Eric thought of the change. Brother Eric said that the change was extremely smooth. Brother Eric then said that Brother Tony is a math guy and is really focused on furthering the education of Central Catholic students. The student asked Brother Eric to explain the relationship of the Christian Brothers. Brother Eric replied, “The Brothers are always looking out for one another. We love sharing ideas and helping each other out when one in having a problem.” Brother Eric explained that Brother Muffley was the Brother he was the closest to.

The student left that Chemistry room with a better understanding of the background of the wonderful teacher. The student made numerous connections from his answers to the way the chemistry teaches in class. This teacher is a wonderful person and will always be considered a great Chemistry teacher in that students mind.