What’s Happening On Your Block: Checking In With the Black Student Union

The 2018-2019 Members of the Black Student Union

Do you know what the purpose for your Black Student Union is? The Black Student Union (A.K.A the BSU) is here to serve Central Catholic with cultural, educational and social events in order to educate others about different cultures and to promote unity.

The Black Student Union’s first social event of the year was a block party, held on the Quad. The point of the block party was to introduce the new BSU board members from Oakland and Central Catholic, for others to enjoy themselves and to change the view on the BSU and show that it is inclusive. The use of the term Black in Black Student Union is sometimes seen as being exclusive, but this year the board members are actively working on integrating the BSU, trying to get more people from different ethnic backgrounds to attend meetings and events.

This event may not immediately appear to be a success considering the BSU had over 100 people signed up, but only around 30 were in attendance. However, under the circumstances and tribulations that the board had face with a sudden date change the week of the event due to rain, the number of people in attendance is fairly impressive. The block party had everything from food, music, games (ping-pong, spike ball, Uno, etc.) and a raffle. The winner of the raffle got a $20 gift card to Panera Bread.

The next event that the Black Student Union is holding is a meeting on Oct. 24th, on stereotypes. They hope for a good turnout for this one and hope you all can make it out!

The Members of the BSU Board on Central this year include: Tyhir Royster (senior), Tyler Royster (senior), Dion Smith (senior), Javon Ayers (junior), Eli Hicks (senior) and Nicholas Anglin (junior).