November’s Presentation with Mr. Jimbo Lamanna ’84

James “Jimbo” Lamanna, ’84

The addition of Wednesday morning Flex time has paved the way for the prospect of eclectic time well spent to alter the otherwise monotonous middle of the week. On among these Wednesdays in November, the entirety of the Central Catholic student body gathered in the McGonigle Theatre to listen the story of Mr. Jimbo Lamanna, as told by Mr. Lamanna himself.

This speech received varying responses from the students of Central, but I believe that Mr. Lamanna deserves so much credit for the presentation he gave and the sentiment he endeavored to portray.

A graduate of Central Catholic’s class of 1984, Jimbo speaks nothing but the best of our high school, confidently and frequently referring to Central as the finest high school in the world. Having faced a no small amount of adversity in his life, he attributes much of his overcoming this to Central. Growing up before and during his tenure as a student here at Central, Lamanna was faced with all of the ever-prevalent pressures that teenagers face to date, these pressures athletically, academically, socially. He would eventually go on to speak to his most substantial of struggles: that with alcohol.

Having begun drinking in his early teenage years, alcohol use and abuse would materialize into something of a crucial problem in his life, one that would nearly cost him everything. At his lowest point in his struggle with alcohol, Lamanna found himself out of a job and on less than terms with his family. Here, he turned to what stood among few of the reliabilities, the constancies, the unwavering support systems of Mr. Lamanna’s life: Central. Alongside some of the many rocks of the Central Catholic community, Lamanna was ultimately, remarkably able to turn his life around once and for all.

Mr. Lamanna’s messages regarding such as alcohol, respect for women, and the pressures of this time in life were all timely and strong, but an additionally significant takeaway of mine was the importance of Central Catholic in the life of this man. We as students hear quite a bit about this Central Catholic Network and this Central Catholic Brotherhood. But to the irrationally defiant, proudly anti-capitulatory sixteen year old, we are so often ignorant to such ideas. If nothing else this speech granted rare and true contextualization to it all.

Mr. Lamanna’s speech is one that deserves nothing but praise and respect. This was his first time speaking publicly of his life, and to speak so vulnerably and honestly to eight hundred teenage boys is vastly admirable. There is so much to learn from the story of Mr. Lamanna, and we are fortunate to have been granted such an opportunity.