A Welcome Back Letter from the Editor-in-Chief

Although perhaps a bit late (a welcome back letter 2 months into the school year seems near-useless), I have decided to take on the task of composing a welcome back letter to the raving subscribers of The Viking. I know many have been waiting for our many different takes on football, school, and various other topics (actually, that seems to cover most of the articles), I know even more of you have been waiting for the real important parts of The Viking: the polls, the tweets, and the pictures that are tangentially, if at all, related to the article. Now, do not take this opening paragraph as me trashing my peers on The Viking‘s, in fact, take it as the opposite, this is a praise to my peers, who are doing great work even in the times of Covid-19. Henry Shaver, for instance, has written an excellent article about being a member of the Fleet (the Central student section), at home. It would be easy for us to fall into the trap of writing a million articles about the different Covid-related happenings occurring throughout the school this year, but instead, we aim to look at different things, even if Covid is pervasive, we want to look at it in a new way.

There are many different challenges to doing this in 2020. While we were in hybrid learning, the newspaper staff did not meet once, and I was only able to meet with our interim moderator, Mr. Retenauer, once. But, I am sure that anyone reading this understands the many struggles of working in the Covid world, and I also realize that my earlier assertion that we would not be talking about Covid in the same old, same old way seems directly contradictory to this entire paragraph, so let us just ignore that, it does not really matter.

My last point is just to enjoy the articles, as my brother (as well as former editor-in-chief) wrote in his inaugural letter, “Hard hitting journalism isn’t really going to be the focus of any school newspaper.” We have many articles coming in about many different things, mainly at Central, but also around the world, and I would just urge you to read the things that interest you, and hopefully to learn something.

Look forward to many articles that feature hard-hitting journalism.

Thanks,

Jude Sweeney