From Prep to Pep: A Closer Look at the Marching Band

Have you ever gone to a high school football game? For most high schools, they’re the peak of school spirit and unity. Here at Central, everyone comes together every Friday to cheer on the Vikings as they take on fierce opponents like Pine Richland and North Allegheny.

Of course, these games wouldn’t be the same without the added excitement of the marching band.

From the bleachers to the field, the band elevates the in-game experience with popular music and fast-paced songs. This begs the question: what goes on behind the scenes to make this happen?

It all starts at band camp.

Every summer, from late July to early August, students new and old participate in this intensive 2-week program to practice all of their music and learn all of their drills.

The band’s most experienced and responsible members are elected “section leaders,” tasked with placing their respective sections accordingly to the song and ensuring everyone is familiar with movement times and patterns.

The sound is just as important as the marching cadence itself, with about one-half of each day being dedicated to practicing musical harmonies, dynamics, and more.

It’s not all work though; the seniors plan plenty of fun activities, such as the annual Connect 4 tournament, daily clothing themes, and a celebratory movie night.

For this year’s drum major, junior Finn Kiniry, band camp is arguably the most crucial part of preparing for the fall. “We have our two weeks at band camp, which are important because we form our friendships and bonds while becoming familiar with all of the drills and music.”

Once the fall rolls around, students have plenty of time to practice, too. Classes are held in the PAC everyday, where band members run through the upcoming halftime show.

This year, the theme of the music is entitled “Pop Goes Instrumental” to represent one pop song from each of the last four years. In addition, the band is introduced to stands tunes, which are the songs the band plays on the sidelines during the game, usually in between quarters or during kickoffs.

A few long-standing favorites include “Hey Baby,” “Seven Nation,” and “Shipping Up to Boston.”

These smaller fall practices give the band a chance to build confidence with the music and drill and further mentally prepare for the games, which can be jarring, especially given the chaotic football environment.

“I like to take deep breaths right before we step out onto the field,” says low brass section leader Jonathan Rivett.

The marching band is led by Mr. Wilson, who is always accepting any willing and hardworking students with a passion for music, regardless of skill level.