Smart Pass: Yay or Nay?

With the start of the 2022-2023 school year, Central Catholic high school students have been notified about a new edition to central Catholic’s safety protocol precautions. Will this new precaution be troublesome for Central Catholic students or will it be the start of something great for years to come?

Smart Pass is an app that all Central Catholic students are required to use this school year when in the hallways while class is in session. Teachers and administrators are able to track and see where students are going while in the hallways.

The reason that smart pass is making its way to Central Catholic is to prevent fewer issues in the restrooms and increase time in the classroom while also increasing the overall safety for Central Catholic students.

While the majority of students and faculty are excited and happy about the new smart pass there are some who do not share the same perspective.

I asked Central Catholic students about the new smart pass and their experience with it first hand and some of them did not share the joy of it.

I interviewed the Assistant Principal of Faculty and Curriculum Development, Mr. Sheridan.

Mr. Sheridan had a lot of positive things to add about the success of Smart Pass so far for the 2022-2023 school year.

When asked about Smart Pass’s growth and process so far this semester he had this to say,” Smart Pass has been an effective tool for hallway management and safety. The bathroom problems are done and there is more classroom time for students.”

As many Central Catholic students may know Central had something similar to Smart Pass in the past years: e-Hallpass. e-Hallpass is a similar app to smart pass but a few things are changed.

When asked about the differences between the two, Mr. Sheridan had this to say, “ Smart pass is more friendly and assemble to students.”

Will Smart Pass be the new thing at Central? Will Smart Pass cause problems in the future for students? Only time will tell, for more updates and alerts check the weekly parent newsletter.