Students Reflect on Summer Mission Trip

Father Mark Thomas

A group photo of the participating students from Central Catholic and Oakland Catholic Summer Mission Trip

In June of 2015, Webster Springs, a small town in rural West Virginia, became the temporary home of students, teachers, and parents from Oakland Catholic and Central Catholic. The group visited the town in collaboration with the Experience Mission team. Experience Mission is a Christ-centered mission’s organization demonstrating God’s love through action in empowering communities, mobilizing volunteers, and developing leaders. Work groups were comprised of students from both Central and Oakland, faculty supervisors, parents of student volunteers, and a construction leader to provide guidance for each assigned task. The mission was to help the community of Webster Springs in whatever way possible. Examples of assignments included painting the outside of a church, long overdue house cleaning, insulating the bottom of a trailer, and installing a ramp for an elderly man.

The work days were long, however the gratitude the groups received from the homeowners made the work worthwhile. The average day started with a wakeup call at 7:30 am, which was certainly an adjustment for the sleep schedules of many teenagers in the summer. The local Baptist Church provided breakfast every morning preceding the morning prayer and reflection. The prayer and reflection was led by Mr. Kyle Goldcamp and Ms. Amy Farrell to help set the tone of the day by remembering how the work would directly impact the lives of others in a positive way. Following prayer, groups met up and prepared to head to their work sites for the day. Father Mark of St. Paul’s Cathedral also attended the trip, holding mass at each of the work sites throughout the week. It gave the teams a time to reflect on how life is not about what others can do for you, but rather what you can do to help those less fortunate than you. After the work day was completed for the day, around 5:00 pm, guys and girls went back to their respective churches for some much-necessary time to wash up. The evenings included fantastic dinners, once again provided by the great hosts at the Baptist Church. Nightly reflection followed, giving teams a chance to talk with one another about the negatives and positives of their day, and what tomorrow would bring.

The people of Webster Springs welcomed the students with open arms, and showed their appreciation for those who gave up part of their summer to provide a much needed service. The students discovered a tremendous atmosphere in the small town, experiencing the warm feel of a tight knit community. Coming from larger communities and schools, it gave students a different perspective on a community very different from their own. Students spent most of their free time at the recently renovated park, and bonded with the local teenagers over various activities. Conversation extended from school size to the record of their respective football teams from the previous year. Whether it was a pick-up basketball game with rap music blaring in the background or swimming in the community pool, the park was always filled with excitement. Although the local kids were welcoming, this did not take away from their competitive nature. Though friendly with one another afterwards, in game activity was not taken lightly. One Central Catholic student battled for a rebound in a close game of basketball, resulting in a broken nose. The supervisors quickly learned after this that teenagers will be teenagers, even 150 miles away from Pittsburgh. The park was a great part of the town, however it was not the only big attraction. The students topped off most meals with a trip down to the best ice cream shop in the area, only a short walk from where they were staying.

The bonds created between the volunteers from Central and Oakland and the home owners they were assisting will be something that will stay with both parties involved for life. Though it was about providing a service to another person, it was also about sharing the experience with them. From learning about the history of Webster Springs first hand, to listening to stories from elderly members of the community. Perspective was one of the most valuable things gained from the Appalachia Mission Trip experience. While there was certainly a sense of accomplishment from knowing the work would directly benefit the families. There was a greater feeling of pride knowing how much the town of Webster Springs appreciated the presence of the two schools.