CYO: North/East/City Section Overview

As the holiday season rolls around, another CYO basketball season has kicked into high gear. Each year, Central students represent their home parishes and grade schools in competition as they try to beat their rivals and win the section. With the race to the playoffs holding higher stakes than ever, here are the overviews for each team in the North/East/City section, followed by Power Rankings.

St. Bede

Central Students: AJ Ewing, Tom Hartnett, Greg Goldcamp, Jack Lowman, Joe Olsavsky, Jack O’Toole, Luke Friday, Henry Shaver, Nate Steitz, Alex Ribnicky

Overview: A squad filled with Central students and pride for the school they represent, St. Bede will roll out one of the more balanced teams in the section. Tom Hartnett is major force in the paint who will complement shifty guards Henry Shaver and Luke Friday. Additionally, Nate Steitz can dunk.

St. Bernadette

Central Students: Grant Cardamone, Ryan Cooper, Andrew Cunningham, Liam Kearney, Trevor Naman

Overview: The school which made a state championship run four years ago in grade school returns much of the core from that team. Ryan Cooper is always a threat to penetrate to the basket, Grant Cardamone is a high-percentage 3-point shooter, and Liam Kearney is a strong big man, giving this squad a balanced offensive look. Their defense and hustle, however, can be fleeting at times, making them vulnerable.

St. Catherine

Central Students: Joe Cirilano, Nick Giannetta, Jackson Vento, Luke Crist, John Evans

Overview: A team that will rely heavily on guard play as they enter the year without much size, St. Catherine will nonetheless be an interesting team to watch this season. According to multiple sources, Jackson Vento is one of the best defenders in the league and is self-acclaimed to have the most steals in the section. John Evans is a solid shooter from behind the arc, but, the team’s real weapon is Luke Crist, who has earned the nickname “White Giannis” after posterizing several players already this year.

St. Mary of the Assumption

Central Students: Tommy Iurlano, Liam O’Connor

Overview: Although there are only two Central students on the roster, St. Mary’s has put together decent squad as the team is combined with talent from several other high schools. The team’s front court is its main strength, with Liam O’Connor being a problem on the dribble-drive and Tommy Iurlano possessing one of the nastiest Shammgods in the section.

St. Maurice 

Central Students: Tyler Watkins, Sam Halahurich, Matt Michalko

Overview: Another team with a small number of players from Central, St. Maurice has created a high-level offensive attack thanks to several players from other high schools. Matt Michalko is a guard who can score any way he wants to and late-offseason acquisition Ty Watkins is a stretch big who adds an outside shot. Sam Halahurich will be a huge add for this group when he recovers from a foot injury.

St. Raphael 

Central Students: Ty Casciato, Bryce Hunt, Declan Love, Patrick McGinley, Brett Palmer, Jack Pawlowicz, Cam Stack

Overview: St. Raphael went all in this offseason, bringing in several big additions to an already solid roster. Guards Declan Love and Cam Stack create a talented guard duo to be wary of, and Jack Pawlowicz, Brett Palmer, and Patrick McGinley are a trio of forwards that can all score of the drive or in the post. Despite their star power, dedication and team chemistry could be a problem for this team.

Sacred Heart 

Central Students: Jeremiah Clark, Devonte Duke, Alex Hill, Timmy Kihonia, Daimere Stewart, Tommy Barmen, Luke Delrosso, Joe Farrell, Dylan Ilov

Overview: A team filled with Central students, Sacred Heart rolls out a talented team with a lot of roster depth. Tommy Barmen and Luke Delrosso are both talented guards that can score from three or on a dribble drive, and Dylan Ilov and Joe Farrell are two forwards that can shoot as well as score in the post.

St. Sebastian 

Central Students: Thomas Bartholomew, Sean Farrell, Adam Obrin, Carter Santos

Overview: A bottom feeder in the league in recent years, St. Sebastian had a huge offseason by picking up several talented Central students to add to a decent roster of players from other high schools. Thomas Bartholomew is a valuable asset beyond the arc, Carter Santos is powerful in the key, and Sean Farrell is a high level defender who can hit a three at times. Guard Adam Obrin makes up for his lack of size by being one of the shiftiest and most skilled players on this squad and will be a major addition when he returns from wrist surgery. Although not ranked high and hurt by injuries early in the season, this team is a major sleeper.

St. Athanasuis

Overview: A team with no Central representation, St. A’s will nonetheless roll out one of the top teams in the section. The school has a long history of bringing out a very talented roster, and this year will be no different.

Power Rankings

1. St. Athanasuis

2. St. Maurice

3. Sacred Heart

4. St. Bede

5. St. Raphael

6. St. Bernadette

7. St. Mary

8. St. Sebastian

9. St. Catherine

To keep up with all the latest CYO news and updates from around the North/East/City Section, make sure to follow @cyobasketball_pgh on Instagram!