How to Get Involved and Why You Should

Freshman Matthew Evans is a news anchor for VNN.

Everyone wants their high school experience to be memorable, full of friends and laughs, and more than just schoolwork.

Luckily, Central Catholic happens to have the perfect solution, and you likely hear about it every day! What would that solution be? It’s our outstanding clubs and teams of course!

Now, you’re probably thinking about all our sports teams, and while they are full of great people and tons of fun, there is more to offer.

The problem is that not everyone knows how to get involved with, say, the debate team, or HEMA. Or maybe you just haven’t figured out what’s right for you yet. So let’s take a look at what it takes to participate and get started.

To start with, you have to know what you want to join.  That means getting to know what clubs we have to offer and that means talking to other students. Ask what sorts of clubs they’re in or what they plan on joining! Not only will this give you an idea of what we have to offer, but you may make a few new friends even before you join! 

Once you have an idea of what teams and clubs interest you, see if you can get in contact with some members. More importantly, try to get in contact with whoever is running or supervising the club!

Remember, emails are always open to getting in touch with staff and students alike! You’ll want to know when and where the group meets in the building. Depending on the club or team there may also be some sort of application process.

After that there is one more step: Attend the meetings! This is what it was all in preparation for! Make sure you can attend regularly, and make sure you participate. Remember, while your enjoyment is the most important thing, this is still a commitment. Your club needs you after all!

Now, you may be reading this and asking yourself, “Why should I join a club?” Well, if you’ve read this far then obviously you’re at least curious, but just in case let me give you a bit more encouragement. 

Not only are our clubs and teams exceptionally fun and satisfying, but they are also full of exceptional people! What better way to make lifelong friends than through something you know you both like?

If you’re both in the same club, then you know you share at least one interest! For those of you more academically inclined, it also looks great on a college application. The clubs themselves can also be a great way to flex your mental muscles a bit, like with the robotics club!

I hope I’ve sparked your interest a little bit and motivated you to explore what Central has to offer! Lifelong friendships, academic pursuits, new interests, new skills, and new experiences are all only a club away. All you have to do is get involved!