From the Editor-in-Chief

Hello, and welcome to school.

I’m Simon. I’m thrilled to be the Editor-in-Chief of the Viking this year, and I’m even more excited to have my compatriot Joseph McShea on board as Associate Editor. What we’re hoping for out of this year is to have some really high quality writing coming out of the Viking. Hard hitting journalism isn’t really going to be the main focus of any school newspaper, a point  that’s seemingly eluded past editorial staff. So, we are looking more towards articles that shine a light on something cool, or just plain good writing.

What’s this mean? Hopefully, that we can make the Viking into something that people want to read, rather than a sort of widely ignored conglomeration of hastily typed sub-hundred word write ups on JV soccer games, another thousand reports on the best Starbucks within walking distance of Central, and whatever Haggerty’s farewell letter was supposed to be. We’ll still have some cool school interest stories (in this first edition of the year, we look into the preferred brands of dress code approved pants––something I know could have helped me a lot in my underclass years––, examine the value of our library, and check in with our Black Student Union), but my hope is that these, this year, will be not only neat little packets of Central-tangent information, but well written pieces, actually enjoyable to read (on this count, I think we’re off to a good start), and thus beneficial to the student body. We’ll be looking at some of the more controversial decisions made within Central the past few years, and hopefully fostering valuable discussion.

I couldn’t be more excited, and I hope you all feel the same. This should be a fantastic year.

Thanks,
Simon